Gypsy Love is a romantic comic opera in three acts with music by Franz Lehar, book by Harry B. Smith and lyrics by Harry B. and Robert B. Smith from the German by A. M. Willner and Robert Bodanzky. Produced at the Globe Theatre, New York, on 17 October 1911.
|| Miss Marguerite Sylva
| NIKLAS (her father)
|| Mr. Harry Mc Donough
| JOZSI (a Gypsy musician)
|| Mr. Arthur Albro
| FEDOR (Zorika's betrothed)
|| Mr. Carl Haydn
| ILMA (a young widow)
|| Miss Frances Demarest
| MIKEL (proprietor of Café Orientale, Buda Pesth)
|| Mr. George I. Bickel
| LILIA (niece of Niklas, a schoolgirl, ambitious to marry)
|| Miss Dorothy Webb
| KASPAR (a bashful youth, son of the burgomaster)
|| Mr. Robert G. Pitkin
| MOSCHU (a tonsorial artist and beauty doctor)
|| Mr. Albert Hart
| SACHA (Zorika's old nurse)
|| Miss Lucie Mitchell
| MAGDA (a maid servant)
|| Miss Josephine Harmon
| DIMITRI (a waiter at the Café Orientale)
|| Mr. Anton Hanschmann
| FANCHA (a maid)
|| Miss Kittie Saville
|| Master Robert Smith
|| Miss Oralla Mars
ACT I - Park of the Chateau Niklas, Roumania.
- No. 1 - Introduction and Entrance - Zorika - "Heisaa! heissa! Storm I defy! Heia! Heia! I fear not your flashing, your pow'r I deny..."
- No. 2 - Duet - Zorika and Jozsi - "No-one has spoken like this to me ... Not even your fiancé? ..."
- No. 3 - Ensemble - Niklas, Fedor, Ilma and Chorus - "Give you greeting! Happy meeting! ... Papa Niklas, howdy do? ..."
- No. 4 - Duet - Fedor, Zorika and Chorus - "In your hand a spray of roses wild you bring, from some deep woodland bow'r..."
- No. 5 - Song - Ilma and Ensemble - "Why are you so glum and grim? This is but a childish whim..."
- No. 6 - Trio - Ilma, Lilia and Káspár - "I'll give you free of all expense some points on making love..."
- No. 7 - Finale Act I - Jozsi, Zorika, Fedor and Chorus - "Behold, the moon is there. How fair! How bright! ..."
ACT II - Palm Garden, Café Orientale, Buda Pesth.
- No. 8 - Opening Chorus, with Mikel - "Gay and festive, ever restive Buda Pesth! Men are brave and women fair..."
- No. 8a - Chorus Exit - "Come, your glasses clinking! Here's the toast I'm drinking! ..."
- No. 9 - Song - Jozsi, with Zorika - "Gypsy blood is not like others, and I am a Gypsy's son..."
- No. 10 - Song - Zorika - "I know a receipt that never fails to make you young and gay..."
- No. 11 - Duett - Ilma and Jozsi - "Ha! ha! ha! ha! That's interesting, of course I know you're only jesting..."
- No. 12 - Duet - Ilma, Fedor and Men's Chorus - "In a field of clover bloom dwelt one wild rose; 'Round her the butterflies flew..."
- No. 13 - Baby Duet - Lilia and Káspár - "What a change the years can make in two people for love's sake..."
- No. 14 - Duet - Zorika and Fedor - "Give me your roses, to be a sign that your love shall be mine, all mine..."
- No. 15 - Finale Act II - "A novelty we're expecting, to see it is quite worth while; there's going to be a wedding..."
ACT III - Park of the Chateau Niklas, Roumania. (same as Act I)
These files are also available in Karaoke format (zipped file) so you can follow the lyrics as they play.
You will need the Van Basco Karaoke player for these.
MIDI files copyright © 2007 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved
- External Link
- Vocal Score at UR Research
American Musical Theatre
Page created 11 December 2016 Copyright © 2016 Paul Howarth All Rights Reserved