Produced by Mr. Charles B. Cochran at the London Pavilion on September 17th, 1919.
Transferred to the Central Theatre, New York, on November 8th, 1920.
| DON JUAN, JUNIOR (A Spanish Prisoner)
|| Harry Welchman
| COUCOURLI (His Squire)
|| Lupino Lane
| HOUSSAIN (Chief of the Abode of Felicity)
|| Dimitri Vetter
| DANSASCH (Master of the Gates)
|| Strafford Moss
| GIAFAR (Master of the Sherberts)
|| L. P. Bartlett
|| KHASAN (Chief Coffee Server)
|| Harold Humphries
| AFGAR (A Rich Moor)
|| John Humphries
| ISILDA (A Spaniard)
|| Marie Burke
| MESSOUDA (A Wife of Afgar)
|| Doris Clayton
| HANIFA (A Wife of Afgar)
|| Dorrie Keppel
| AMINA (A Wife of Afgar)
|| May Flower
| BADOURA (A Wife of Afgar)
|| Meum Stewart
| MORGIANA (A Wife of Afgar)
|| Mona Fraser
| BELBALI (A Dancer)
|| Mona Paiva
| SERAPHIM (A Slave)
|| Vera Freeman
| ZAYDEE (Favouite Wife of Afgar)
|| Alice Delysia
Synopsis of Scenes
| ACT I
|| - Courtyard of the Palace of the Moor, Afgar.
| ACT II
|| - The Harem.
ACT I - Courtyard of the Palace of the Moor, Afgar.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus, with solos - "O come now, try your luck at dice, and you may profit in a trice; you begin, you may win, you take first spin ..."
- No. 2 - Song - Don Juan - "Ev'ry maid is a rake at heart, ev'ry man is a lover, born to the world to play his part, roaming the wide seas over. Give him a sword..."
- No. 3 - Duet - Afgar and Don Juan - "When a man grows old, he's no longer bold, he goes in for retrospection; and he gives a thought that the comfy sort..."
- No. 4 - Duet - Zaydee and Don Juan - "I give my soul into your keeping that I may live for love of you. Until you came, my heart was sleeping..."
- No. 5 - Concerted Number - "We kiss the dust at your feet, noble stranger .. Kiss it again, it is swept twice a week .. I've travelled here thro' disaster and danger..."
- No. 5a - Song and Chorus - Isilda - "Tell us first your name! Who are you and whence you came? ... I am Isilda! I come from a land where the hearts beat high..."
- No. 6 - Song - Zaydee and Chorus - "There is one romance that is told 'twill never grow old so long as the moon's above, tho' it may be told by a knave, a fool..."
- No. 7 - Song - Coucourli and Girls - "I'm a Mexican roving and free, from the city of blood and bananys. You see that I wear-o a big broad sombrero and puff..."
- No. 8 - Song - Zaydee - "Dear lonely lover, I fain would discover the touch of your lips and the beat of your heart. Your love has lit me with wondering fire..."
- No. 9 - Finale Act I - "Oh! what is this? Oh! what's a-miss? .. Oh! what is this? Oh! what's a-miss? .. You'd best look out, there's strife about! .. I heard a shout..."
ACT II - The Harem.
- No. 10 - Chorus - "Gaze on us, we're a beauty chorus - we'd turn shy if we caught your eye. To the city wifie has to fly - we look pretty when we wave goodbye..."
- No. 11 - Trio - Afgar, Don Juan and Coucourli - "We're to marry some day, so shout Hip Hooray, We'll promise to honour and obey. ... For my love I swear..."
- No. 12 - Song - Isilda - "There's a valley in the sunshine knowing no sadness. Only big and little children dwell there in gladness. Love is theirs, for ever nigh..."
- No. 13 - Duet - Afgar and Coucourli - "Beauty is rare, you're not very fair, but you're not the worst I have seen; tho' I fear in this case they will not use your face..."
- No. 14 - Song - Zaydee - "One should try very hard to be good, but it isn't so hard to be bad; take the thing that you ought, but as life is so short, take whatever..."
- No. 15 - Ensemble - "Come, bid the banquet commence, we burn to know our fate; the moments fly, the time is nigh to pass the golden gate..."
- No. 16 - Song - Zaydee - "I've built a world of make-believe, a quaint little place that is all my own, where, if for passing hours I grieve, I rest for a moment..."
- No. 17 - Song - Don Juan - "'Neath your casement hear I am singing, songs of life and love I am bringing, each one born of my love for you - all for you..."
- No. 18 - Finale Act II - Zaydee and Chorus - "Live for love, for love and the world at your feet, for all conquering love makes each moment complete..."
MIDI Files Copyright © 2011 Colin Johnson. All Rights Reserved.
Page created 17 September 2016 .