You can purchase copies of Mikado scores from the following locations. They offer online, or at least
e-mail, ordering, and shipment to anywhere in the world.
- Chappells of Bond Street, now at 152-160 Wardour Street, carry the scores for all 13 G&S operas and are willing to ship them anywhere in the world. Their telephone number is +44(0) 20 7432 4400.
- Chorus Parts. Sam Burns has sent us the chorus parts for The Mikado in a compact form compatible with the Schirmer score. Please email any comments to Sam: sam AT gurtlushchoir DOT com
- Dover Scores: The new full orchestra score and a vocal score for The Mikado has been published by Dover. They are available from a variety of online and "brick and mortar" stores as well as on-line. The vocal score is keyed to the full score, which was published in 1999. Performing groups will be pleased with the features of this new edition: measure numbers throughout; characters names and chorus parts are identified in the margins; all repeats are written out except "Tit-willow" (which fits on a two page spread) and the madrigal. All of the dialogue is included, and there are generally more measures per page than the Schirmer or Chappell editions, The piano part has been rewritten and simplified and includes more orchestral material than existing versions; and wrong notes in the vocal parts and piano part have been corrected; and, the fine quality paper and excellent Dover bindings last for years. (Review by Ephriam Jones) [The full score appears to be out of print, January 2011.]
- IMSLP — A
Vocal Score, published by Pond & Co. (1885), can be downloaded as a PDF file as can the Kalmus edition of the full score.
- Note8 Music Typesetting and Publishing specializing in Gilbert and Sullivan orchestra materials. Typeset conductor’s scores and orchestra parts for Sorcerer, Princess Ida, Mikado, Utopia, and Cox and Box. Rental of manuscript orchestra parts for Patience, Iolanthe, and Yeomen. Severely reduced orchestration (6 instruments) for Trial by Jury.
- Opus 1 Music Exclusive North American agents for rental of "The Newby Scores" of the 13 G&S operas. The arrangements are scored for as few as 12 or 13 instrumentalists (or as many as the music director cares to include) and still maintain a balanced, artistic accompaniment. The "Newby Scores" have been used all over the English-speaking world.
- Pattersong Music - Reduced orchestrations of The Mikado, Pirates, Iolanthe, HMS Pinafore & Patience are available for hire from Martin Paterson. The arrangements are ideal for use in smaller venues, where either a
full orchestra would not fit in the space available, or where the full
orchestral sound would be too much for the singers.
Each arrangement is typically for Piano and 6-7 winds and strings.
- PJ Music Works has produced a new orchestration recently used by PHEOS Musical Players (UK) May 2007 and to be used by other local societies in the near future. This new version has single wind and brass together with percussion and strings and can be performed effectively with 15 instrumentalists whilst providing colour and balance as close to the original as possible. Available for hire.
- Sheet Music
Plus The ultimate online sheet music source. They have over 336,000 titles to choose from, and you can order online. Flat rate shipping of $2.99 to any US address. Click on the following links to go directly to their Mikado score sales pages:
- TLM Music offers a full score of The Mikado for free download in PDF format. Look for the links at
the bottom of the page.
- WVD Press publishes a new edition of the conductor's score and orchestral parts of The Mikado.
20 Feb. 2014